[crossfire] Quests, continued

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Mon Jul 25 02:31:28 CDT 2005

        Yes, and if the player is part of a party, and other party

     members are on teh

      same quest, this should count for them also.

Yes, party should be handled for every quest aspect.

        Can you be more specifc on this?  Does this meaning having

     n items in your inventory? <snip>

Imagine a quest like "cook NPC: I'm missing 10 potatoes for my
party tonight, please help me!" => player has the quest
"collect 10 potatoes". When s-he gets 10 potatoes, it could be
nice to put a reminder "oh, you found 10 potatoes, you can
give'em to the poor cook". So need to activate quests items
when player picks the last of 10 items.

      This can be remedied to some extent by being very specific

      where to go (go to town hall help desk, etc).

Yep.

        Doe this mean you can only get the item if you are on the

     quest, or does it mean it only counts for something if you are
doing the quest?  If the later,

      that would seem pretty obvious.  This would presumably be

     basically tied to pickup item.

I was thinking "when player opens the chest, if doing the
quest, find the right item and other random items. If not
doing the quest, just the random items".

        I'd add:

      Converse with someone.  Eg, a quest to go tell xyz abc.

     This could be done as

      above - tied to connected objects, so could be tied to a

     magic ear.

Already done. I extended the match function, you can do
(imagine a NPC farmer, after the cook asked you to find 10
potatoes):
match @potatoe
quest potatoe_quest start
You're seeking potatoes? If you  help me find my missing cow,
I'll give you some".

=> text only appears when player is doing the quest.

In my implementation, though, it's not flexible enough imo -
can't match multiple quests states easily, and so on.

      1) Give object.  Some quests (scorn nobility) quest does

     this, but can

      potentially run out of objects - if done via quests, don't

     have that problem.

Can generate random item, too - simple to do with plugin or
whatever.

        Also, should have special code to give invisible objects -

     if player doesn't

      have it, it gives them.  Thus, quests could give out skills

     and spells.

      Potentially, there should be some fallback (player already

     has meteor swarm,

      give them 10 potions instead or something).

Can be done through plugin, again. Code to check for all that
exists iirc.

      2) Ability to give exp, and give it into specific skill

     categories (bring me an

      elven bow and I'll teach you more about bowmaking, etc).

Plugin, again.

      3) Ability to give stat/other bonus, up to racial maximums

     (just like potion).

      Resistances could be for everyone or maybe just dragons.

     Perhaps have some

      constraint (only increase resistance if less than 20 or

     something).

Resistances not yet in plugin, but could be added anyway.
Stats you can already, I think.

        Also, from the current quests, I'd say that if the quest

     is timed but you

      don't complete it in time, you should generally be able to

     restart it.  Ideally,

      few quests should be timed, but my concern here is that a

     player perhaps get

      distracted, quests expire, and not player has not chance to

     redo it.

*nod*
That's why using forces for quests make sense, you can redo
quests if you timeout.

Ryo