[crossfire] Java editor questions

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Jul 25 00:07:38 CDT 2005

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      Hello.

      I was wondering how hard it would be to modify / reuse part of the Java

      editor to edit actual archetypes. It would make creating / modifying

      archetypes much simpler, imo.

  Well, in my ideal world, the need to create new archetypes shouldn't really
exist.  Or in those cases where it is needed, most likely that need would
predate any ability of the editor to know how to handle them.

  That said, what perhaps need fixing/examination is where archetypes are needed
and can the code be changed so they aren't.

  Easier said than done.  Off the top of my head, where archetypes are still
really needed:

1) cases where other_arch is used - I believe for many cases, the object in the
inventory is used.  However, that may not be universal, and causes problems
where and object creates and object, and that object is looking at other_arch.

  One possible fix for the more general case is make a 'other_object' field that
acts as another inventory (for cases where you can't use the object inventory).
  OTOH, I think additional investigation is needed to see if there are really
any cases right now where using inventory doesn't work.

2) Treasurelists.  The real fix here is to make it so objects can specific
treasure lists (entire text entry).  And to extend treasure lists so that they
can include objects.   These are non trivial changes however.