[crossfire] CVS branches

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Jul 30 22:32:17 CDT 2005

  I'd be more concerned about this if there were lots of commits going on,
or there was a real desire to have a stable branch (eg, significant changes in
main branch that may make it real unstable or incompatible, and thus you want to
retain an older branch for compatibility reasons.

  But the fact is it does add more work - someone has to take patches from the
head branch and put them in the stable branch and vice versa.

  The other issue is that generally, I'm not seeing so many commits that having
people hold off a week would seem like much an issue.

  The simpler approach would not do real branches, just for me to keep a checked
out copy and use that when making the release, and bring over changes manually
that are critical in nature.  Problem with that is you can get the case where
there is no version is CVS that directly corresponds to the released version.
However, I suppose in that case, a branch for any relevant files could be made
at that time.

  But what it really comes down to is that it is more work for the person doing
the release (me), and I really don't want to make things any more complicated
for myself - I'd much rather be dong stuff more worthwhile than syncing up branches.