[crossfire] new metaserver

tchize tchize at myrealbox.com
Thu Jun 2 02:48:04 CDT 2005

Le Jeudi 2 Juin 2005 09:20, Mark Wedel a écrit :

        I was thinking about this metaserver some more, and had some various

      thoughts.

      1) Has someone agreed to run the metametaserver?  What about the slave

      metaservers?  While all this looks nice, if you don't have people willing

      to run it/take care of it, it is all pretty pointless.  For the

      metametaserver, I'm thinking more of the Tanner's, since they currently

      hold the main crossfire home page, but of course, the metametaserver could

      move someplace else (not as sure how many people have as stable and ip

      address and network connection that they do).

That's were a static list on various website is usefull, easy to place
(crossfire.sourceforge.net could be a place to hold the list)

      2) having the clients connect to the various servers to get stats like

      current number of active players is IMO an extra level of complication that

      can be done without.  If we have a dozen active servers (which was actually

      low if I recall), you probably don't want to do it sequentially - that

      means it coudl take a significant amount of time to go through them all.

      Especially if one is down or unresponsive.  this means you need to do it in

      parallel, and writing that threaded code is a bit more complicated.  Add to

      the fact that the client would then have to send some commands and parses

      the responses from the server. I just don't see any reason that dynamic

      info shouldn't be included.

could be done in udp (send a packet to each server than wait 2 second for any
response)

      3) I'd much rather have a simpler approach than something really

      complicated for many reasons.  The current approach seems to be going

      towards the overly complicated approach.

probably

      4) Has anyone considered the approach where all the servers talk to the

      metametaserver (lets call it the master metaserver), and all the

      metaservers just regularly pull updates from the master metaserver?  And we

      disallows directy client queries to the master metaserver (basically, it

      will only allow queries from the client metaservers)?  This goes to #3,

      where it seems to be a much simpler approach.  And it is only slightly less

      resilent then the proposals I've seen.  In this approach, if the master

      metaserver is down, the clients just use the last copy of the data they

      have.  But at least all the client metasevers are sure to have the same

      data.

Could you rephrase it, am not sure to understand (i think there is a mix
between master server clients and game clients)

        Just some thoughts.  I'd probably still be good to rewrite the metaserver

      logic, but IMO, having the servers talk to web servers is an extra

      complication - pretty much all metaservers that are out there (certainly

      netrek at a minimum) use their own protocol for the servers to update the

      metaserver.

I was proposing something that could be run without special servers. A static
list anyone could mirror on their isp personal web page. Anyway, if it's
possible to have at least 3 or 4 mirrors using a metaserver dedicated
protocol, why not.

      crossfire at metalforge.org