[crossfire] new metaserver

Andrew Fuchs fuchs.andy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 14:39:45 CDT 2005

Mark Wedel Wrote:

      I was thinking about this metaserver some more, and had some various

      thoughts.

      1) Has someone agreed to run the metametaserver? What about the slave

      metaservers? While all this looks nice, if you don't have people willing

      to run it/take care of it, it is all pretty pointless. For the

      metametaserver, I'm thinking more of the Tanner's, since they currently

      hold the main crossfire home page, but of course, the metametaserver could

      move someplace else (not as sure how many people have as stable and ip

      address and network connection that they do).

As I discused on irc, I may be able to host one of the metaservers, pending
the purchase of new hardware.

      Just some thoughts. I'd probably still be good to rewrite the metaserver

      logic, but IMO, having the servers talk to web servers is an extra

     complication

      - pretty much all metaservers that are out there (certainly netrek at a

     minimum)

      use their own protocol for the servers to update the metaserver.

http is simple imo
afaik the header can be thrown away, except for any error codes included in
it.

Andrew Fuchs