[crossfire] Spellcasting Swords progress

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Jun 5 01:38:34 CDT 2005

Alex Schultz wrote:

      I'm trying to insert a rod into the sword, where the rod has a spell in

      it (I've usually done that with the old style spell numbers in my tests

      which the server seems to nicely convert). For example, I make the

      following treasurelist which is in the "randomitems" of the sword arch:

         treasureone katanafire

           arch rod_light

           sp 82

           level 15

           hp 50

           maxhp 50

           no_drop 1

           no_pickup 1

           startequip 1

           chance 100

         end

  That is not valid syntax for the treasures file.  You can not make changes to
the archetype in the treasures file.  I imagine if you watch the server startup,
you'd probably see a bunch of error messages related to that.

      I tested it putting the sword on a map and that works except for the

      above mentioned information loss. However when I tested it by using the

      DM "create" command, the randomitems were not obeyed.

  If you use the map editor to create the sword, put the rod in the sword, and
put a spell in the rod (clear out randomitems from the rod), then it should
work.  If that doesn't work, I'd consider it a bug.

  I don't remember for sure if the dm create command actually does all the right
thing, regarding setting up the treasure lists.

      I assume this information loss is because the treasurelists don't accept

      such data and only use the defaults of the arch, so one solution would

      be creating an arch for each rod that I want to use on the swords,

      however I feel that would be a bit kludgy, and I am wondering if anybody

      has any better solutions.

  That is one solution.  But is your goal to make these show up randomly?  Or is
your goal to put these on a few special maps?  If the later, then see my note above.

  The other possiblity would be to change the code, so that the sword itself can
act as the caster object.  I'm not sure what changes would need to be made -
perhaps not too many.  The real complication here is that for weapon
improvement, it probably uses some of the same fields as you'd need to it to be
a casting object.  The simple solution this is that spell casting weapons can't
be improved - then you don't have to worry about that conflicting use of fields.