[crossfire] Spellcasting Swords progress

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Sun Jun 5 10:02:17 CDT 2005

Mark Wedel wrote:

      If you use the map editor to create the sword, put the rod in the

      sword, and put a spell in the rod (clear out randomitems from the

      rod), then it should work.  If that doesn't work, I'd consider it a bug.

Yes, that does work, that's what I've been testing with from the beginning.

       I don't remember for sure if the dm create command actually does all

      the right thing, regarding setting up the treasure lists.

 From what I've found it does not. Though see below that I've found a
nice method around this that avoids treasurelists.

       That is one solution.  But is your goal to make these show up

      randomly?  Or is your goal to put these on a few special maps?  If the

      later, then see my note above.

I'm trying to make it show up randomly. Since the e-mail you're replying
to, I've found a nice solution: create another python script that runs
when it's applied which generates a rod if it doesn't already have one,
and it is generated based upon parameters given the event options of the
script. This seems to work quite nicely, and and still allows map makers
to just put the rod in via the map if they want (which I see as easier
for map makers).

The only issue I'm running into now, is where the best place to insert
such items into the treasurelists to make them randomly appear. I do
know of several places that would work technically, but I'm not sure
which is the most proper and from what I see chance values add up to 100
so I would have to change existing ones so I'm not sure of the best way
to do that.

    Thanks,
           Alex Schultz