[crossfire] Java Editor

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Jun 5 16:49:26 CDT 2005

ERACC wrote:

      On Sunday 05 June 2005 01:40 pm

      Todd Mitchell wrote:

     The current Java Editor does not seem to be very stable.  Especially it

     tends to have a problem with really big maps (can't open them) and

     eventually won't open maps and has to be restarted.  Behaves like a

     Memory leak?  Also sometimes the map window graphics are getting

     corrupted by the file menus from the main window (something updating the

     wrong container?)

      Noticed these problems here too. Hopefully some Java guru will have a

      try at fixing it and release a new .jar (I haven't tried yet to build

      from source). I did make it able to open huge maps by increasing the

      maximum heap size using a command line switch. My personal bash

      script to run the editor is attached.

  I've noticed it to on fedora core 3.  Using the -Xmx<some large val>m to
increase the heap size helps out.  I don't know what the default is, but does
seem to small.  It certainly is a memory leak issue, because I do see errors
like this from the window I run it from when it starts to misbehave:

      [java] Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
Java heap space

  In theory, java is supposed to reclaim memory so there shouldn't be memory
management issues.  I wonder if some pointer isn't being cleared, and therefor
memory from the map isn't being freed as it should.

  One can see the problem pretty easily - load one of the world_x_y maps and do
enter north/east/whatever a few times.

  Increasing the heap size really just masks the problem.  OTOH, I think the
default is probably pretty low for how much memory most systems probably have
now days.