[crossfire] Pet Peeve - converters/altars/other that take gold, not money.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Jun 7 00:28:44 CDT 2005

  This is an old pet peeve of mine - originally, I thought it was just a matter
of old maps not being updated, but I'm seeing new maps that are similarly broken.

  What is basically comes down to is altars, converter tables, etc that require
gold.  You can't use platinum, you can't use silver, it must be gold and only gold.

  This then requires that you go to the bank, convert that platinum to gold, go
back, etc.

  If you set the altar/converter to take 'money' instead of 'gold' or other
coinage, it will take the appropriate sum of money (it has to be all of one type
of money, and it won't make change).  Not that money is in silver pieces, so to
convert existing objects, the sacrifice count needs to be increased.

  Maybe map designers don't know about this.  I can't think of any compelling
reason that the requirement should be gold.  After all, when you to the shop to
sell stuff, they pay you in platinum.  There are tables to convert from one
coinage to another with no extra fee.  If you buy stuff from a shop, it will
take any of those currencies.

  If one were to think about this in modern currency terms, it'd be like a place
saying it will only take $5 bills, and not $20 bills (substitute $ for currency
of choice).  Such a policy could make sense if you're being something for $15,
but most all the tables I've seen are wanting sums in the hundreds, if not
thousands - surely such tables would prefer the bigger currency and not the
small bills.