[crossfire] Pet Peeve - converters/altars/other that take gold, not money.

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 00:47:25 CDT 2005

On one of my map areas the kingdom that owns the area
is short on gold due to dwarves taking over the mines.
Thus it want's people to pay in gold rather then
silver etc. (This is explained in the maps). It has a
boat load of emeralds though... so it pays you in
emeralds for stuff you do etc.

For most things though... peeps just probably don't
know.

--- Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

     > wrote:

        This is an old pet peeve of mine - originally, I

      thought it was just a matter

      of old maps not being updated, but I'm seeing new

      maps that are similarly broken.

        What is basically comes down to is altars,

      converter tables, etc that require

      gold.  You can't use platinum, you can't use silver,

      it must be gold and only gold.

        This then requires that you go to the bank,

      convert that platinum to gold, go

      back, etc.

        If you set the altar/converter to take 'money'

      instead of 'gold' or other

      coinage, it will take the appropriate sum of money

      (it has to be all of one type

      of money, and it won't make change).  Not that money

      is in silver pieces, so to

      convert existing objects, the sacrifice count needs

      to be increased.

        Maybe map designers don't know about this.  I

      can't think of any compelling

      reason that the requirement should be gold.  After

      all, when you to the shop to

      sell stuff, they pay you in platinum.  There are

      tables to convert from one

      coinage to another with no extra fee.  If you buy

      stuff from a shop, it will

      take any of those currencies.

        If one were to think about this in modern currency

      terms, it'd be like a place

      saying it will only take $5 bills, and not $20 bills

      (substitute $ for currency

      of choice).  Such a policy could make sense if

      you're being something for $15,

      but most all the tables I've seen are wanting sums

      in the hundreds, if not

      thousands - surely such tables would prefer the

      bigger currency and not the

      small bills.

      crossfire at metalforge.org