[crossfire] Re: Java Editor

ERACC eracclists at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 8 02:40:48 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 01:02 am
Lalo Martins wrote:

      And so says ERACC on 06/08/2005 01:11 PM...

      http://www.eracc.com/files/CFJavaEditor.jar.tar.gz

      (0.5 off-topic)

      Gene, I'm under the impression that a jar is a glorified zip file;

Basically, it is.

      is there any benefit in making a tar.gz of it?

Yes, for broken browsers (if used for DL) that will attempt to open
the file in a window because they have no clue what a .jar is. Most
browsers should know how to handle .tar.gz by now. I would just use
wget and not worry about the extension but I realize not everyone
does things the way I do.

Could also use .zip extension in place of .jar (I think, haven't
tried that so going on anecdotal mention) but that might be a wee bit
confusing to some who would DL and attempt to unzip it.

Gene
--
Linux era4.eracc.UUCP 2.6.8.1-12mdk i686
 02:33:41 up 21 days,  3:10,  8 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.42, 0.42

     http://www.eracc.com/

eCS, OS/2, Mandriva Linux, OpenServer & UnixWare resellers