[crossfire] Re: Java Editor

tchize tchize at myrealbox.com
Wed Jun 8 02:57:23 CDT 2005

Just configure your apache server to associated .jar files to file type
application/octets-stream, this should force every browser to download

Le Mercredi 8 Juin 2005 09:40, ERACC a écrit :

      On Wednesday 08 June 2005 01:02 am

      http://www.eracc.com/files/CFJavaEditor.jar.tar.gz

      > (0.5 off-topic)

      > Gene, I'm under the impression that a jar is a glorified zip file;

      Basically, it is.

      > is there any benefit in making a tar.gz of it?

      Yes, for broken browsers (if used for DL) that will attempt to open

      the file in a window because they have no clue what a .jar is. Most

      browsers should know how to handle .tar.gz by now. I would just use

      wget and not worry about the extension but I realize not everyone

      does things the way I do.

      Could also use .zip extension in place of .jar (I think, haven't

      tried that so going on anecdotal mention) but that might be a wee bit

      confusing to some who would DL and attempt to unzip it.

      Gene