[crossfire] new metaserver

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Jun 9 00:04:16 CDT 2005

Mitch Obrian wrote:

      Cave's php metaservers are great. The sms's are sent

      the data by the servers. They then send the info to

      the cms which sends the info to the other sms's. This

      way (since the sms's are trusted) the cms is unDoSable

      as it's ip is unknown except for the trusted sms.

      Since cave's metaservers are written in php they can

      be hosted anywhere... including hosting companies with

      near unlimited bandwidth.

  seems to me that making the CMS ip secret is just security through obscurity.
  Once someone discovers that IP through whatever method, you lose that benefit
- this means the CMS has to be secure on its own.

      We should implement it, it has been written. It is

      good. The time for discussing how it should be done is

      passed as we allready have a product now.

  You discussed the metaserver/program before, however, when asked to provide
link/URL, did not provide one.  Trying to search for info on it is pretty
meaningless, as cave is just too common a word.