[crossfire] new metaserver

Michael elshar at cheekan.org
Thu Jun 9 14:19:09 CDT 2005

I'm not sure if its been suggested, and I'm probably missing some part
of the discussion. I heard somewhere on the list that the metaserver
required the use of udp, which is easily spoofable. By that I mean that
no connection handshake required to start data transfer, and most isps
don't seem to bother to check if the packets leaving their network
should be doing so...

So how about changing it to tcp, and have the server connect to the
metaserver via a spawned thread (I read somewhere, possibly same thread
that changing to tcp would cause issues with the game server.. This
would 'fix' that, imo)? Maybe have the metaserver throw the requesting
server some kind of randomly generated key that the requesting server
has to reply to.

Also, if you wanted to do the multiple metaserver thing (I can't imagine
why), you could structure it alot like irc servers are. By that I mean
that you have ways of telling the meta servers which server is the
'master', which ones are other 'slaves', and which ones are game
servers. And mechanisms to control behavior for all of them. Hell, you
could probably write a small perl/php script to use an irc server as a
metaserver. Then you'd already have all the parts.

I think basically what I'm trying to say is that the game server
shouldn't itself care if its contacted the metaserver. That should be a
seperate proccess which 'checks in' every so often to give an update.
And that those updates should be spaced far enough apart as to not be
construed as a DOS with the meta server smart enough to realize that a
repeated message from the same server isn't a seperate advertisement,
but an update to the previous.. Granted, I'm totally ignorant of how the
system works, but maybe this idea would be of use to someone. :)

Mark Wedel wrote:

      Mitch Obrian wrote:

      Cave's php metaservers are great. The sms's are sent

      the data by the servers. They then send the info to

      the cms which sends the info to the other sms's. This

      way (since the sms's are trusted) the cms is unDoSable

      as it's ip is unknown except for the trusted sms.

      Since cave's metaservers are written in php they can

      be hosted anywhere... including hosting companies with

      near unlimited bandwidth.

       seems to me that making the CMS ip secret is just security through

      obscurity.  Once someone discovers that IP through whatever method,

      you lose that benefit - this means the CMS has to be secure on its own.

      We should implement it, it has been written. It is

      good. The time for discussing how it should be done is

      passed as we allready have a product now.

       You discussed the metaserver/program before, however, when asked to

      provide link/URL, did not provide one.  Trying to search for info on

      it is pretty meaningless, as cave is just too common a word.

      crossfire at metalforge.org