[crossfire] Re: The real cause of the metaserver DOS attack

Lalo Martins lalo at exoweb.net
Thu Jun 23 19:18:05 CDT 2005

And so says Mark Wedel on 23/06/05 12:58...

      Real bug here was the commit of the settings files that changed the

      value of fastclock.  Unfortunately, changing the settings file back

      doesn't really help things out because by default, the settings file is

      not installed if one already exists - thus, all the people will broken

      settings file will continue to have it.

May I respectfully suggest a hard throttle, so that no matter what else,
the server just won't talk to the metaserver more than, oh, once per
minute or so? Then even people with fastclock on will have this solved.

best,
                                               Lalo Martins

     http://www.exoweb.net/

                       mailto: