[crossfire] Re: The real cause of the metaserver DOS attack

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Jun 23 23:55:19 CDT 2005

Lalo Martins wrote:

      And so says Mark Wedel on 23/06/05 12:58...

     Real bug here was the commit of the settings files that changed the

     value of fastclock.  Unfortunately, changing the settings file back

     doesn't really help things out because by default, the settings file is

     not installed if one already exists - thus, all the people will broken

     settings file will continue to have it.

      May I respectfully suggest a hard throttle, so that no matter what else,

      the server just won't talk to the metaserver more than, oh, once per

      minute or so? Then even people with fastclock on will have this solved.

  The code change I put in place reduces this rate considerably to something normal.

  However, unless/until people update to this newest code, they will continue to
flood packets.