[crossfire] Valgrind results

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Sat Mar 26 16:14:27 CST 2005

Andreas Kirschbaum wrote:

     I don't think the X server itself has a memory leak. The problem is that

     the crossfire client requests many X resources which makes the X server

     allocate memory. And because the client leaks the old handles when

     allocating a new resources, the X server itself cannot free the old

     resources until the client exits.

     After the crossfire client exits, these resources are freed by the X

     server. But as far as I know, the (virtual) memory usage of an Unix

     processes normally does not shrink. Therefore the X server's memory

     usage does not shrink after the crossfire client exits.

     Ah. That makes sense. Is there any sort of way to get X to get the
memory from freed X resources back? (other than restarting X)