[crossfire] Lighting changes.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Mar 30 01:54:29 CST 2005

Alex Schultz wrote:

       Right now, darkness levels is calculated for each player.  This

      doesn't make a lot of sense.  Imagine scorn at night - the

      darkness/brightness for all the spaces are the same for all players,

      so there is no reason that how dark/bright the square is should be

      calculated for all the players.  So rather, just like there is a

      'light' value for each map space, a darkness field would be added, and

      the server woudl fill in those values universally.

      Makes sense, and I think I know how to implement such. It wouldn't

      involve much more than moving some of the algorithms that are normally

      in los.c into map.c. I think I might be able to integrate this part of

      what you mention here into my lighting patch if you think that's a good

      idea.

  I'd consider you're current patch and what I describe here as seperate
projects - there is no reason you're current patch shouldn't go in, and then
work on this, since I think it is a bit bigger change, and there isn't any real
dependency on the other patch.

  I'd also suggest addition of a field in the map header to something like
'update_darkness'.  When something happens on the map that would change
lighting/darkness, it sets that.  When update los is called and that is set on a
map, then it goes and updates the map - this is almost certainly going to be
more efficient than doing it everything when the object is inserted/removed.

       There are a couple oddities that would have to be handled:

      1) players currently can see at least a few spaces on outdoor maps -

      this would need a little special handling.

      I don't think that will be too hard to just adapt the existing los.c

      logic with very little changes to all of this in such a way that this

      part would be kept intact.

  yeah - it may make the most sense for LOS to calculate true LOS issues, and
then look at the darkness levels on the map and copy those into the LOS array as
  needed - then, special customizations based on the players attribute could be
done at that time.

       However, related to these changes would be changing how the client is

      notified of light changes.  Better effects can be done if the client

      knows where the light sources are - that'd actually use less bandwidth.

      Very true, but that would require rather widespread changes to all of

      the lighting code, and we would still have to not sent the client data

      for that which that can't see at all which would depend on calculating

      lighting data on the server end. Also, we would still have to worry

      about monsters knowing about such lighting.

  yes - the biggest issue is light sources the player can't see.  The hardest
part is those light sources the player can't see but which they can see the
effects off.  Since they see some of the light emanating, might not be bad to
send the player location of that (it is something that could be inferred), but
gets hard to handle.  I'd have to think about this more on the best way to deal
with handling this data, and figuring out a fast way to calculate that information.