[crossfire] Spellcasting Swords & Python Troubles

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Wed May 18 23:49:55 CDT 2005

Hi,

I'm working on a server-side python script to allow weapons (or
arrows/bolts after making a small fix the the direction) to cast a spell
upon hitting an enemy. I think that the easiest way to store the data on
the sword for the spell is by putting a rod (set to invisible and
no_drop) with the desired spell attributes (which spell, and to adjust
how fast the spell can be used etc.) in the sword's inventory. So far,
I've made a python script that mostly works, except I just have two issues.

First issue, is that the current python bindings can get the name of a
spell as the player sees it and can get a pointer to the spell object,
but can't seem to get the archetype of the spell object, which is need
to cast it. This is not a big problem, as adding a binding for that
should not be difficult and I plan to do that soon. For the moment, I'm
just hardcoding the spell archetype for testing the other parts.

Second issue, which is somewhat more trickery. For some reason, the
testing server keeps segfaulting when the script casts the spell with
CastAbility.  Anybody have an idea of whats happening or how to find
that out? I'm attaching the small script here.

       Thanks,
              Alex Schultz (aka Rednaxela)