[crossfire] Proposal to fix experience inflation due to random maps

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun May 29 18:31:11 CDT 2005

  My thought that reducing monster density would help out was this:

In my limited experience, best way to get that gobs of exp is through spells.
If monsters are lined up in all directions, you cast that cone or bolt spell and
hit a lot more monsters.  So you quickly kill everything in just a few spells,
move onto the next map, etc.

  If the density is lower, you don't kill as many, and this reduces exp to some
degree.  Player now has to spend more time moving to the exits, and possibly
regaining sp/grace

  It may not be a big change, but would perhaps help out.

  Other thoughts:
Reducing the number of levels of some dungeons may make sense - at least those
that do have end maps and not some of the infinitely deep dungeons.  But I
consider this more a game play issue - dungeons that take several hours to
complete are harder to play, eg, I only have 2 hours to play, won't be able to
get through that dungeon because it is 10 levels deep, should do something else.

  One thing which has been suggested is the idea of exp reward for quests.
Right now, if we look at the scorn nobility quest, the reward is an item and
ability to get through the gate.  But most commercial games I've played give a
direct exp reward for the quest (beyond what you get killing the things in it
itself).  This probably makes sense for crossfire, especially if target at
certain skills (I'll train you in alchemy if you do ....)  That could also help
out rewards for some of the tough maps that right now don't give a lot.

  For random maps, it might be reasonable to put in something like an
'exp_multiplier' in the map header or description of the random map.  It could
default to 1 (use values in style map), but could be adjusted to other values
for other maps.

  I do agree the exp gains is a problem.  Random maps are probably the biggest
indicator, but mostly because they have high density and are deep.  But things
like the pupland raffle are similiar - high monster density, and if you're the
appropriate level, a good place to pick up a fair amount of exp on the same
basis.  And there are other non random maps that are crammed full of monsters
(some in brest, like the administration building come to mind).

  The random maps are probably popular simply because they are so deep.  I think
as long as these high density/easy to get to maps are around, the players are
going to look for them simply for that reason.  I don't have a good solution on
how to fix those problems.