[crossfire] jcrossclient lives.

Brendan Lally brenlally at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 18:29:52 CST 2005

As those of you who follow #crossfire on freenode will be aware, I
have recently taken over Phil Brown's jcrossclient project, and
started updating it to make it work again with modern servers.

I have tonight uploaded a new version of jcrossclient to the
sourceforge page I created for it a few days ago.

It can be found
     https://sourceforge.net/projects/jcrossclient/

This is the first new version to be released in four and a half years.

In keeping with the previous numbering system, this is version 1.0-alpha-2.

Please note that this /is/ an alpha release, and therefore should not
be considered suitable for use as a main client (yet). If you play
using this client, and get killed due to a bug, I will not be held
responsible.

Major changes of note since the previous release include:

* Support for PNG images (and removal of xpm support)

* Support for big images on the map view

* Support for scaled big images in the ground view window ( as seen at
     https://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=152431
     )

* Numberpad now works for control

* Names in the inventory window are no longer corrupted.

* default view size is 15x15

* Removal of fatigue bar

Known Bugs:
* Command window is a bit, interesting, and sometimes throws
exceptions if the commands are malformated. Unlike other crossfire
clients, jcrossclient requires commands to be prefixed by ' and say
commands to be prefixed by "

* Main window doesn't get created at the correct size, and must be
manually re-sized to expose the stat bars.

* Map updates are somewhat slow, even on my AMD64 system, and the
display can flicker if it has lots of activity (like rapid movement).

I hope to address these issues over the coming weeks, most noticably
the map update speed/smoothess issue, as well as continuing to add
support for more of the newer features that the server can provide
(such as new_draw_info_ext support).