[crossfire] Re: Introducing item fatigue

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Nov 23 00:45:21 CST 2005

Lalo Martins wrote:

      And so says Yann Chachkoff on 11/20/05 20:55...

      - Every complex action generates an amount of fatigue proportional to its

      difficulty;

       A cauldron is made of metal. You put it on fire, throw ingredients that react

      sometimes very savagely inside and apply magical forces as well on it

      whenever you use one for alchemy. It thus sounds reasonable that it slowly

      degrades with use up to a point it isn't reliable anymore. I see this as a

      two-fold process:

      On the other hand, if the cauldron lasts long enough, it becomes

      "seasoned" - better than a new one.  The same would apply for shoes,

      tools, and even some weapons.

  In some cases, may be reasonable (repeated heating/cooling of some objects
does make them stronger).

  But something like shoes will never last for ever.  They do get broken in
(more comfortable).  But I'd argue that if you do something that stresses the
shoes and they survive, that more indicates it is a well made/high quality pair.
  In any manufacturing, especially that using natural goods, you are going to
get some variation in quality.

  One could see this in terms of a blacksmith.  In some cases, he might get a
quantity of quality metal - the goods produced by the metal will last longer and
be better quality.  In other cases, the metal may have some impurities that are
not readily noticed, but cause weaknesses.  There is also the variation of just
the skill of the workman.

  However, one can't really discover what case you have until some amount of
use.  So in a sense, if it survives, it may more be proving that it was a good
batch of material.

  All that said, some things, like orc weapons, would have a fairly low quality.
  In terms of the fatigue rules, it could mean that they have already suffered a
fair amount of fatigue.

  However, the one problem this leads to is collecting those items.  I really
don't want to have 200 different long swords in my inventory after looting a
dungeon because each has slight differences in fatigue.

  So I would suggest that a limited number of levels (maybe 10) be set, so it
reduces clutter (perfect shape, excellent, good, average, mediocre, poor,
broken, etc).

  I'd also say that adding temporary fatigue for objects makes things relatively
complicated and/or annoying.

  In the cauldron case, it just means I have to wait however long for the
cauldron to cool.   While realistic, from a game play perspective, not
particular interesting to play.  Or maybe it means I have 5 cauldrons to shuffle
through.

  From a programming perspective, it gets complicated on how items loose that
fatigue.  For players, its easy - they are living objects, so whenever they get
their hp back or whatever, get some fatigue back.

  But most objects don't have speed.  But the fact that some do mean you just
can't give them speed and take it away - doing so would likely break some
objects.  Not that this couldn't be handled in some way, but nothing obvious
comes to mind right now.