[crossfire] Idea for skills

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 27 09:32:52 CST 2005

There should be NO redistribution of the quests IMHO.
If you want more quests in an area do what I'm doing
and make more (I'm working on a navar quest). If you
don't make more quests you don't have a right to
complain about a lack of quests in an area IMHO.

--- Yann Chachkoff <
     yann.chachkoff at myrealbox.com

wrote:

      I don't really like that idea.

      Sure, the intend - force people to explore the world

      furthermore - is good.

      But I see little justification of forcing them to

      make a given quest to

      increase their level. Arbitrarily capping the levels

      looks very artificial to

      me.

      On the other hand, I think that a similar principle

      (make some quests a "must

      do" to go further) could be used to unlock other

      quests and areas. Such a

      system would be easy to justify scenaristically-wise

      and would achieve the

      same result without artificially bending the

      skills/levels system, or

      requiring changes to the code.

      It would mean that a geographical redistribution of

      the quests would have to

      be done at some point, and/or that "locks" would

      have to be put to prevent

      access to higher-level quests.

      But all this sounds like map-making job, which I see

      as a better (or

      cleaner ?) way to go than creating another

      special-case to rules in the code.

      I tend to think that the whole problem of people not

      exploring the world all

      comes down to the quests structure and locations:

      people don't explore

      because they have no reasons to do it, and because

      travelling without

      encountering anything is just plain boring. I'm far

      from being convinced that

      we'd solve that problem with another piece of code -

      I think that improving

      *maps* would lead to more satisfying solutions.

      So, my opinion:

      - No to artificial capping of levels;

      - Yes to "capping" of quests and areas access,

      unlocking them by finishing

      some "key quests".

      Le Samedi 26 Novembre 2005 15:47, Nicolas Weeger a

      écrit :

      > Hello.
     >

      > Here's an idea concerning skills: add a "cap level

      without doing a quest".

      > For instance (levels are random numbers): a player

      could level up to 15

      > in one handed weapons. Then he'd need to complete

      a quest to be able to

      > get to 25, then another for 40, and so on.
     >

      > The aim would be to force players to explore the

      world, to find those

      > quests to reach higher levels. Of course the

      quests should be designed

      > to be do-able with level ~15 / 25 / 40 one-handed

      weapon.

      crossfire at metalforge.org

      Yann Chachkoff

      Garden Dwarf's Best Friend

      GPG Key    :

     http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/export?id=9080288987474372064

      Fingerprint: 6616 2E02 BAD2 4AEF C90A  F1EB 7E03

      AAB9 844D 25E0

      crossfire at metalforge.org