[crossfire] Idea for skills

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Nov 27 21:26:54 CST 2005

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      Btw, it could be used for "secondary" skills (alchemy, woodsman, ...)

      skills only, not main combat ones. This way no penalty for

      fighters/wizards, just for players wanting to do other things than combat :)

  But I then wonder if an actual cap on exp/skills is needed, or if it would be
good enough to give exp bonuses in specific skills for specific quests.

  You could see a grandmaster of alchemy saying something like 'fetch me ....
and I'll teach you more about alchemy', and if the player does so, he gets an
exp reward.  And make the reward good enough that it is worth it for players to
do the quest vs sitting in their apartment trying to make things (this would
obviously be based on the difficulty of quest - low level quests would give
little exp, more difficult quests more exp).

  some, like I mention above, could be pretty easily done (you really just need
to put that alchemist in the town, and perhaps modify some existing maps to
include the special items he wants.  A simple example could be him wanting the
heart of the goblin chief - thats just modifying that map to have both a heart
and head of the chief).

  Other cases could be shrines/altars which when applied give the reward.  These
can thus be put in dungeons.  I think this would actually add a little more
interest - a lot of the maps are really only 1 dimensional, in that you are
going the map for some specific purpose, and that's it.  Doing a map and finding
it has an alchemist laboratory and you get bonus exp would sort of add that 'oh,
that's cool' type of thing since you may not have been expecting it.

  That said, I don't think there is any built in mechanism within the game to
give exp rewards?  You can do it via plugin of course, but wonder if putting it
in the core server would make it used more.