[crossfire] Quest/Maps idea

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Oct 13 23:36:36 CDT 2005

Andrew Fuchs wrote:

      On 10/13/05, Rick Tanner <
      leaf at real-time.com
      > wrote:

     On a somehwat similar thought, what about map entrances that vary based on

     time of day or other event?

     For instance, during the day a castle contains royal guards, no wondering

     monsters, etc.  But at night, interior map is replaced with ghosts and

     other nasties.  Or, a dungeon in a tower next the sea floods every

     afternoon because of high tide.

      Theres a RFE on the tracker, for a time-based connected object.  Which

      could be used for this.

      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1318639&group_id=13833&atid=363833

  The problem is that the same issue that applies with different exit pointer
based on quest completion has.

  EG, player 1 enters time based map.  Player 2 decides to join him 10 minutes
later - unfortunately, in that time period, the event time has changed, so
player 2 is now on a different map.

  I will say I'd prefer the idea of time based rather than player based events.
  But trying to keep in synchronized seems odd.

  Now I guess in theory the same thing can happen for random maps - a player
could be deep in a random map set in which the first few maps have reset, so
that a new player gets a different set of maps.

  I think for time based stuff, more likekly, different information given out by
time (eg, NPC abc says something at night, not at day).  And maps being
open/closed by time make sense (the shop is closed, etc).