[crossfire] Quest/Maps idea

David Delbecq delbd at oma.be
Fri Oct 14 03:20:56 CDT 2005

For time based: quite easy to manage, just do it at map load time from
original map.
So first to 'reset' the map does create the environnement, other just
get the same
map, loaded from cache or already in memory. So between 2 reset, there
is only one
version of map loaded.

For player based loading, this is more tricky. As you said, problem is
for party. Crossfire code
is not really made for 'party/player based' maps. Showing different
things to different players
is a bit of problem in terms of roleplay. One could argue having a
'kill the goblin chief' quest
reset again and again might also be a problem in terms of role play. I
think for the second
part, player just do not care. For the first part, people fill fill
bugs when they notice they aren't
on same place as their mates.

regards,
Tchize
Mark Wedel a écrit :

      On 10/13/05, Rick Tanner <
      leaf at real-time.com
      > wrote: ...

      On a somehwat similar thought, what about map entrances that

      vary based on time of day or other event?

      For instance, during the day a castle contains royal guards, no

      wondering monsters, etc. But at night, interior map is

      replaced with ghosts and other nasties. Or, a dungeon in a

      tower next the sea floods every afternoon because of high tide.

      Theres a RFE on the tracker, for a time-based connected object.

      Which could be used for this.

     http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1318639&group_id=13833&atid=363833

      The problem is that the same issue that applies with different exit

      pointer based on quest completion has.

      EG, player 1 enters time based map. Player 2 decides to join him

      10 minutes later - unfortunately, in that time period, the event

      time has changed, so player 2 is now on a different map.

      I will say I'd prefer the idea of time based rather than player

      based events. But trying to keep in synchronized seems odd.

      Now I guess in theory the same thing can happen for random maps - a

      player could be deep in a random map set in which the first few

      maps have reset, so that a new player gets a different set of maps.

      I think for time based stuff, more likekly, different information

      given out by time (eg, NPC abc says something at night, not at

      day). And maps being open/closed by time make sense (the shop is

      closed, etc).

      list
      crossfire at metalforge.org