[crossfire] More server speed reducing the objects number

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Oct 16 00:11:10 CDT 2005

Alex Schultz wrote:

      Alberto Sáez Lodeiros wrote:

      (Before that, sorry for my english, I'm from Spain, and there are some

      expressions i don't know very well)

      I was thinking that the MetalForge server can goes faster (or simply

      save RAM?) reducing the objects in the world. I refer to reduce the

      number the objects, not monsters.

      One way to do this is making "corpses-containers", as some CF players

      disscuss at #crossfire IRC channel.

      For those who weren't there at October 15, the questions is this:

      "When a player kill a monster, this monster drops it's loot to the

      floor, creating on this way some more object. So the idea is that

      instead the killed monster drop all the loot, only appear it's corpse,

      and then, when the player "apply" the corpse, this opens like a

      briefcase or chest, containing all the monster's loot."

      We have disscussed the way to do this, and like we talk about, the

      best way is:

      1.- Spawn

      2.- Create random Loot

      3.- Die

      4.- Create container

      5.- Move loot to container

      6.- Put container in monster

      Well, the idea is reduce the objects over the map/s

      And this is all. I think this is a good idea.. :)

      This might be a good idea, however ram usage would actually increase

      slightly not decrease, though it may have a minor positive performance

      impact.

  It would certainly clean up the maps some (don't have piles of hundreds of
objects)

  auto pickup code would perhaps need to get redone to handle those, but not
that big a deal.

  Taking a look at the metalforge server, which last crashed tuesday, it
currently has 113 MB allocated to it.  IMO, by modern standards, that really
isn't that much.

  It could help performance in these ways:

1) When a creature dies, since its objects go into a death container, no need to
check to see if they merge with other objects on the map, etc.

2) Potentially less objects to check when a spell goes over the space, etc.

  That said, #2 is tricky - things like burning hands should probably still have
a chance to burn up those objects?

  Downsides:

1) Monsters that pick up loot would now need to do more work (instead of the
objects of 5 dead creatures merging, they would be all seperate, instead of the
common objects merging.

2) point 2 from above- fire effects may now have more objects to check for
destruction because they don't merge.

  All that said, I'd think this should be more driven by actually thinking this
is a good or bad feature, not memory or performance reasons.