[crossfire] [IDEA] Reagents for cast magic

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 16 12:56:18 CDT 2005

Wouldn't regents just be like talismands?

Perhapse if one doesn't have the regent the spell
should be only be 1/2 or 1/3rd as powerfull then with
the regent (for spells that 'need' regents)?

--- Mark Wedel <
     mwedel at sonic.net
     > wrote:

        My personal thoughts:

        doing this should be based on gameplay, not

      sorcery vs witchcraft or any of

      that type of things.

      I'm a little reluctant to do it food based - for

      some characters, it is enough a

      pain just to find enough food on some maps, if I now

      have to worry that I'm

      eating the right type of food, that just adds a lot

      of hassle.

        However, having continued consumption of some food

      times giving bonuses seems

      reasonable.  At the same time, if a character stops

      eating those foods, those

      bonuses should go away.  This could perhaps be done

      by very long lived forces -

      eating the corresponding food creates the force, and

      each time you eat it, the

      duration of the force is increased (to some

      maximum).

        But to me, that is seperate from the reagants.

        Doing reagants probably wouldn't be hard.  But if

      done, I think the following

      should be considered:

      1) Prepared reagants for most (all?) spells shoud be

      available in shops.  That

      said, you may not get reagants for destruction in

      scorn, but in brest perhaps.

      It shouldn't be a requirement that I be an alchemist

      as a spell caster.  That

      said, a caster could make them if he wanted to (and

      save money).

      (following from economics, if there is demand,

      people would make it).

      2) PRices for reagants, especially for high level

      spells, could be quite costly.

        1000 pp to cast comet?

      3) Reagants should be quite light, so that you can

      carry a bunch of them without

      much effect on weight (or perhaps give players a

      reagant pouch that reduces

      weight quite a bit).

      4) Not all spells should necessarily require

      reagants.  Most lower level spells

      perhaps shouldn't, with more requirement for higher

      level spells.

      5) Use of reagants should be similar to arrows, eg,

      happens automatically.

      Player shouldn't have to be fumbling through their

      inventory for them.

      6) Could perhaps be interesting to have alternate

      reagants for spells with

      different effects (less or more powerful, etc).

        The basic gist of this is don't want to make it

      such a pain to play

      spellcasters that no one does so.  If I can only

      carry 50 reagants and have to

      keep popping back to town, what fun is that?

      Likewise, if I have to be hunting

      through the forest looking for some herb for a

      spell, I'd not consider that

      especially fun either.

      That said, pricey reagants could certainly make

      using some spells less appealing.

      crossfire at metalforge.org