[crossfire] New movement code.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Oct 17 00:10:01 CDT 2005

Brendan Lally wrote:

      On 10/16/05, Todd Mitchell <
      temitchell at sympatico.ca
      > wrote:

      I would advocate that only  the shallow sea should be swimmable.

      Could seas use the same approach as swamps? That when a player starts

      walking into them, they stand a chance to sink slightly, and if they

      keep going, they die? This would effectively stop long distance

      swimming

  Yes, perhaps.

  That said, what should probably be done is that the swimming skill requires
arms, feet, body, etc, be free - basically, player has to unequip most
everything to be able to use the swimming skill.

  That said, there should also be something in the swimming code that checks to
see how much stuff the character is carrying - carrying 2500 lbs of stuff should
make swimming pretty darn difficult.

  Casting spells while swimming probably shouldn't be allowed either.

  All that said, I'd be more inclined to change both swamp and swimming code to
not cause instant death, but rather do hp damage.

  Thus, a character with decent HP would have some decent amount of time to
start dropping stuff to prevent from drowning.