[crossfire] New movement code.

Joshua Wilson josh at woosworld.net
Mon Oct 17 13:48:42 CDT 2005

Brendan Lally wrote:

      Gameplay is to me the key point, If there is drowning, then there is

      no need to have massive alterations to world maps that have open

      bodies of water (and illogical limits on where a player can and can't

      swim). If some characters are not guarenteed to be able to drown, then

      they could go anywhere in a body of water, which would mean a need to

      modify them to define where someone can't swim to.

Your right here - it's all about gameplay.  While I like the idea (an
elegant solution to the problem) I'm simply exploring the
holes/complaints I think players/people might try to poke in it.

      The 'all water is partially holy water' argument does have one other

      problem, in that wraiths can drink potions of water with no ill

      effects.

Indeed - and being rained on if the weather code is used or drinking
standard water bottles.  That being said it's certainly still a viable
option.

     Isn't holy water blessed by a priest to become holy, and after it's been

     used no longer "holy" and just "water"?  In this case wouldn't water

     returned to the sea no longer be holy?

      That's an interesting question, I infer from the wikipedia quote

      above, that the water would then no longer be exorcised, but that is

      an unsourced line from a wikipedia article. I have been unable to find

      a better reference myself.

      I do know that the quantity of water recognised as holy by any person

      is a tiny fraction of the world's total (even if the hindu

      intrepretation is used where (as I understand it) the entire river

      gagnes is considered holy - I'm unsure on this point, and would

      welcome it being corrected, I don't think hinduism has exorcism of

      water in the same way as Christianity.)

      Anyway, regardless of the reality of holy water, the world of

      crossfire is polytheistic, one god can define its persistance in

      rivers, seas and streams (but not in glass bottles, or fountains -

      sounds kinda like a gaea sort of claim to me.), while the others

      don't.

      If their banishments can work against wraith, why not their holy water?

Works for me!

      crossfire at metalforge.org

Joshua Wilson
www.woosworld.net