Swimming, was Re: [crossfire] New movement code.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Oct 18 00:00:19 CDT 2005

Alex Schultz wrote:

      Mark Wedel wrote:

       That said, what should probably be done is that the swimming skill

      requires arms, feet, body, etc, be free - basically, player has to

      unequip most everything to be able to use the swimming skill.

 > What about characters without such slots? (i.e. dragons)

  Could be a special scroll for them (after all, teaching dragons to swim is
probably different than humans).

  That said, perhaps reasonable to use the spell encumberance code for swimming
also - if hard to cast spells, certainly hard to swim.  That might be the
easiest thing to do - thus, removing objects helps out your swimming odds.

  given we are giving swimming some danger, it'd probably make sense that you
can get exp for it.  This then improves what you can carry, so a person that is
level 100 swimming could take a nice swim carrying that bonecrusher, wearing
plate armor and loaded with loot.

  IMO, swimming probably shouldn't be that hard to get.  AFter all, within game
terms, any water space someone can swim, someone should also be able to fly
over.  Levitate is a level 6 sorcery spell, not really hard to find.

  Dragons and I think another race or two have the ability to fly when they want to.

  So given all these details, I don't particularly see the need to make swimming
really difficult to get.  If anything, flying is still better as there is no
danger, move faster, and can move over more terrains.