[crossfire] Love and marriage, love and marriage...

Joshua Wilson josh at woosworld.net
Tue Oct 18 19:11:43 CDT 2005

I don't think that how you feel about women holds much water on this
mailing list.  Pardon the inflammatory nature of that comment but you
know me Mitch and you know it's not intended that way - it's simply an
observation.

I understand where you are coming from - I just don't agree that it's a
reason not to implement it in crossfire.  While some people may have a
desire to make them more then fake some people also want to kill people
after playing violent video games.  We could certainly have very deep
discussions about the level of responsibility of game makers to decide
if we are encouraging an activity in our game or not, but I think that's
a bit of overkill.  I don't think marriage is a critical aspect of
crossfire and I wont be putting it at the top of my priority list.  But
if someone wanted to implement it I don't have a problem with that.  You
do, you've made your point and I've made mine - lets let some other
people make theirs.

Josh

Mitch Obrian wrote:

      When you play a violent videogame you don't have the

      desire to go out murdering people in like fastion.

      When you look at porn you do have the desire to have

      sex.

      When you create "fake" personal relationships... there

      is often the desire to make them not fake.

      Do you want your wife "marrying" some random crossfire

      player and developing a deep personal attachment to a

      man who is not you?

      Had I any wives, I would not want them talking to

      other men and forging bonds with them (nor other

      women, perhapse most of all).

      --- Joshua Wilson <
      josh at woosworld.net
      > wrote:

     Logan Tygart wrote:

     On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 18:35 -0400, Joshua Wilson

     wrote:

     Using your logic we are also encouraging tossing

     alchemy, demon worship,

      killing people to get things they are carrying ,

     etc..

     At some point we have to draw the line and say

     it's simply a game.

     Games model certain aspects of real life (and if

     marriage is one of them

     so be it) and completely disregard other aspects

     (when was the last time

     you saw killed someone with a fireball?)

     Precisely, so why bother coding something that is

     a human response?  If

     people want to get married, let them do so by

     announcing it to the local

     town.  Maybe on a bulletin board in the town hall,

     as a suggestion.  No

     need to hard wire marriage into server code.

     I think the reasons for coding it are to allow

     things like a shared

     apartment or possibly some of the other benefits

     that were being

     discussed.  While I'm not necessarily in agreement

     with the list of

     potential bonuses being discussed I don't think one

     of the reasons not

     to work on it is because we might encourage

     adultery.

     Just my opinion,

     Logan (Symbiote on metalforge server)

      crossfire at metalforge.org