[crossfire] Love and marriage, love and marriage...

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Oct 18 21:45:41 CDT 2005

  Quick thoughts:

  IF we don't add the sex to characters, then we don't have to worry about the
same sex marriage issue.

  If we do add player sex, I think we then need a bunch of new graphics for most
of the races/classes to denote this (fireborn probably doesn't need to be done,
and dragons perhaps don't need to be done either - why they have different
sexes, may not be readily distinguishable).

  In terms of marriage, it once again depends on what we want to mimic and gameplay.

  Given the initial suggestion, I'd think this should be pretty generous.  If
your limited to the same race and religion, the number of people available to
marry on a different server.

  But what it really comes down to is the actual effects.

  Most of the initial suggestions could for lack of better term best be
described as new party spells.  Married characters, being what they are, should
perhaps always be in the same party, so the spells work for them.

  In terms of sharing apartments, I'd think the guild idea, or buildable houses
work in that area.  That way, I can just as easily share a spot with friends.

  Divorce, especially with shared apartments, would get really tricky.  Who gets
ownership of the apartment?  How do you split the items in the apartment?

  for that matter, even marriage gets tricky.  Suppose both people have
apartments - do you somehow merge the stuff?  Choose one apartment not the
other?  I'm sure you'd get some pissed off people if they suddenly lost access
to their apartment when they got married.