[crossfire] Love and marriage, love and marriage...

Sebastian Andersson bofh-lists-crossfire-dev at diegeekdie.com
Wed Oct 19 02:23:37 CDT 2005

      On 10/18/05, Sebastian Andersson <
      bofh-reg-crossfire-dev at diegeekdie.com
      > wrote:
     >
      > As far as I remember, I've never heard of any society where they
     >
      > summoned demons, then casted meteor swarms on them, so I don't think any
     >
      > "history" argument is relevant,

      Yet you would think it strange if in the world of crossfire, gold was

      not valued, and things made of gold, not prized above more mundane

      items, despite its inferior strength as a metalworking material.

In fact, there are many societies that don't value "pretty" as something
possitive (goes nicely together with many religions' art of self-denial)
and if they were to live alone gold would have a lower value as it
wouldn't be wasted on vanity items. So I would not be surprised if gold
had no value at all in crossfire, but then again when one does not have
to work, what's left but vanity or philosophy?

I'm usualy surprised how much is the same in crossfire and other human
societies. If magic was so easily obtainable as it is in crossfire, I
think few people would buy a flint & stone.

      > but if one is interested, wikipedia has
     >
      > an article about it:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage#History_of_same-sex_unions

      None of these are marriage, but are instead more like that of the

      relationship between a mentor and appretice, some of them taken to a

      sexual level.

     From the article:
     "In China, especially in the southern province of Fujian where male love
was especially cultivated, men would marry youths in elaborate
ceremonies."

That in turn seems to come from the book:
Bret Hinsch, Passions of the Cut Sleeve: The Male Homosexual Tradition
in China, p. 132

Other parts of the article speaks of "unions", which in my opinion is
another word for marriage.

Considering how diverse societies there have been, I don't think one can
assume anything about a crossfire society by looking at ours'. Heck,
would people in a crossfire world even need to grow food, the beginning
of most human societies? In crossfire I would rather think that
societies would start up around priests, casting restoration on their
friends or around mages casting "create food".

      > sex has to be introduced first (and better text handling).

      I'm not quite sure how those two follow on from each other... are you

      thinking of new attack messages?

I was thinking about sex as in gender, not the verb. But I should have
used the word gender of course to avoid such confusion.
Better text handling would be needed to let people know about sex by
using her/his, she/he etc.

But as has already been mentioned on the list, make things generic and
let the people in the game role-play such things.

Regards,
/Sebastian
--
                             .oooO o,o Oooo.  Ad:
     http://dum.acc.umu.se/

"Life is not fair, but root   \ (  /|\  ) / (o_   //\
password helps!" -- The BOFH   \_)     (_/  (/)_  V_/_