[crossfire] Re: New movement code.

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 11:07:09 CDT 2005

Yay, a let's break everything by allowing passage
through walls idea!

Crossfire should NEVER allow passage throug no_pass
tiles. No Pass means no pass, walls shoud _always_ be
no_pass (by default). Don't make the maps worthless
please.

--- Brendan Lally <
     brenlally at gmail.com

      On 10/19/05, Anton Oussik <
      antonoussik at gmail.com

      wrote:

      > When activated the wraith becomes invisible,

      stealthy, can move

      > through walls, and can not cast spells, or hold

      items in inventory

      > (except invisible ones of course), The only attack

      then avaliable is

      > wraith touch, which deals ghosthit, depletion,

      drain, and life

      > slealing.
     >

      > Without clothes wraiths are not very strong, so I

      do not see how it

      > will make them overpowered. Running for the

      nearest wall will often be

      > the best choice, only preying on the weak, but

      that will be the only

      > way of surviving, since you would die from three

      hits by a powerful

      > monster, if you can not life steal them as fast as

      they are hitting

      > you.

      Will direct attacks hit wraith stood in a wall (like

      they do in ADOM

      with ghosts)?

      Will rings/amulets remain wearable?

      I'm inclined to say that at least there should be a

      /big/ hit points

      penalty as well (maybe 50% - though with a small ac

      bonus too ?)

      > While in this mode the wraith ca not pick anything

      up, or interact

      > with the environment, like push switches, buttons,

      or anything like

      > that.

      Ok, so their weight would have to be zero too.

      Would you change the face as well, to give some clue

      they are in this mode?

      > This would also mean players can not take stuff

      out of treasure

      > rooms... they can get in, fly though it, and then

      walk out again

      > leaving treasure behind. They would not be able to

      steal it without

      > completing the quest.

      You need to deal with switching out of this mode

      inside the treasure

      room (you try to adress this later)

      That could still lead to lots of potential spoilers

      (you could observe

      the boulder layout and infer information from that)

      > Also you should not be able to go into void

      squares to get to other

      > "floors" or mechanic sections of the map. You

      should be able to apply

      > exits though, to get around between maps.

      not all boulder layouts are seperated by squares

      with no tiles on.

      > There is howerver a case of the player going into

      the mode sneaking up

      > to a switch opening treasure room, and then taking

      it out. The only

      > way out of this I see is to only provide one way

      of leaving the mode

      > once entered: by visiting some well defined set of

      points (like an

      > altar of devourers, or a graveyard to posess a new

      body). This way it

      > will be impossible for a player to either cheat in

      the quest or help

      > other players cheat.

      Alter of devourers might work, but there are maps

      that have alters in

      dungeons, and these might get placed in areas where

      a player could get

      stuck.

      Also what about a wraith that doesn't worship

      devourers?

      There are similar issues with graveyard placement,

      plus it is a little

      illogical that a graveyard corpse should work, but a

      'fresh' one

      should not.

      crossfire at metalforge.org