[crossfire] Re: New movement code.

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 10:44:09 CDT 2005

Ethereal travel should fail where Dimention door
fails:
No magic and can't see through areas.

(If I have a wall one cant see through it should fail,
same if I have a wall that has no magic set on it or a
no magic tile there).

--- Mark Wedel <
     mwedel at sonic.net
     > wrote:

        Rivers are a messy case.  Blocking swimming and

      flying over them doesn't make

      a lot of sense if you can fly over lots of other

      stuff.

        While they are often used to protect areas, I'd

      make the case that in most of

      the bigworld map, allowing people to fly/swim over

      them wouldn't be that big a

      deal - sure, there is a bridge down a ways, but

      letting someone fly over

      upstream shouldn't be a problem.

        After all, it then makes zero sense that if I

      follow a river down to the sea,

      I can swim or fly over the shallow water to get

      around the river, but not over

      the river itself.

        That said, there are certainly a few places where

      it really needs to block

      movement.  The problem is that in many of those, it

      can look artificial (look, a

      nice ring of river).

        As a note, and this includes ethereal travel, any

      changes to the blocking of

      spaces has to be done on a map by map/space by space

      basis.  IF we change the

      archetypes to suddenly allow swimming and flying

      over shallow water, I think

      we'll find many maps just got broken.  Same for

      ethereal travel through walls.

        That said, I could certainly see someone writing

      scripts (or updating the java

      editor) with something like 'allow ethereal travel

      on walls on this map' or

      something, so that its just a simple 'is it ok to do

      on this map or not' type of

      update.

        But I do think giving someone permanent or at will

      ethereal travel will be

      very powerful, even with some of the limitations.

      The fact is that lots of maps

      have enough wall space where an ethereal creature

      could effectively hide out

      away from any attackers.   I'd certainly much rather

      temporary items (potions)

      be added first and see what that breaks.

        I'm also a bit reluctant to add tons of new

      movement types.  After all, at

      some level, the movement type is the same, what is

      different is that some things

      may move through spaces better than others.

        So rather than adding a desert movement type (or

      camel), I'd rather desert

      have a high enough slow move penalty to make it very

      slow to move through, and

      then give camels some ability to ignore that (built

      in desert movement skill or

      something).

        Similar for forest and jungles - I'm not sure I

      want a new movement type, vs

      making it painfully slow enough you have the

      appropriate skills.

      crossfire at metalforge.org