[crossfire] Server map redo: movement types

Todd Mitchell temitchell at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 1 19:26:33 CDT 2005

Mark Wedel wrote:

        Just a note, I wasn't saying that dragons would automatically fly -

      I'm not touching that code, so I expect it will remain that they will

      have to use the appropriate skill to actually start flying.

Ah, my mistake.  I thought you were describing that if a player had the
Flying move type  they would automatically use it if they were otherwise
blocked.  This would actually be ok for cases like moving from land onto
water or climbing over a high mountain but not so good for flying over
the mountain or the water( or a low wall or over a hole).  MOVE_WALK,
MOVE_SWIM, MOVE_CLIMB are all mutually exclusive however MOVE_FLY could
apply to all these.  This is why I suggested they entering fly mode
would be different from the rest.

       And the issue isn't what movement types the player can potentially do

      (jump for example) - going back to the original question was 'what to

      do if the players movement type is MOVE_WALK | MOVE_FLY).

I would think they would only be able to have one movement type at a
time.  If they are flying they can't pick up things on the ground or
trigger buttons and the like.  If they are walking then they aren't
flying...

       How characters get multiple movement types is a different discussion

      and not what I'm addressing here.

       Likewise, the code is not going to auto apply new movement types.  If

      you could in theory jump over that trap door but aren't currently

      flying, guess what, you walked onto it - you need to explicity use the

      jump command to hop over it.

I would expect the code *would* actually apply movement types.  Also
that if you were climbing or swimming you could not reasonably do melee
combat (and possibly not have 'hand' items applied unless you had were
using a spell or item  - this is interesting - boots of waterwalking is
not swimming).  As you say - I would hate to have to type 'climb',
'swim',' climb', 'walk'.  Again 'fly' however is a special case.

       Some of it is of course playability - I don't want to constantly have

      to be changing my movement types (switch to swim - now in water,

      switch back to walk, leaving water.  Switch to fly (even though I have

      those levitation boots) as want to go over that wall, etc.

agreed - if you wade in to the water you should assume you would start
swimming.  If you couldn't swim however I think you should stop and not
automatically start flying.

       Just a note, that right now, dragons can fly unlimited distances (and

      boots work forever) - you can't get over oceans, but can fly over

      terrain that doesn't actually block passage (which is only high

      mountain) and should be avoid all slow move penalties since it doesn't

      apply to flying.

       So the only real change is possilibility of flying over water.  But

      that has to be looked at for other reasons, notably that it would open

      up the map a lot.

Yes, however if flying is limited what happens if you run out of juice
while over a terrain you can't pass - I guess in most cases you would be
stuck untill you can rest and fly again but over say water... do you
take damage?  Drown?