[crossfire] Re: LOS and lighting map redo

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Tue Sep 6 14:30:23 CDT 2005

Alex Schultz <

     alex_sch at ...

     > writes:

      (snip)

One other thing to add to what I was saying:
On the technical side, I think that a reletively easy way to accomplish #2,
would be, when the server is calculating LOS for squares, it should store all
light sources that affect each square as a sort of list in the square. This
way, all that the server has to do to check which light sources to send, it
just needs to look at the squares that players have *some* vision of, of and
concat (while ignoring duplicates) the light sources in the lists for those
squares. This method may take more memory, but IMHO it is a easy to code and
gives what is in my opinion the 'proper' results, and so far as I see should
run fast in runtime.

Alex Schultz