[crossfire] Server map redo: movement types

Todd Mitchell temitchell at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 6 19:04:58 CDT 2005

Mark Wedel wrote:

       One could argue that given the choice, you'd almost always want to

      fly over water than swim anyways.

I see that as an issue in itself - flying then becomes the preferred
movement type.  Now maybe if you were easier to hit with missiles when
flying and/or also easier to push around (knockback code has modifier
for friction I believe) it might be more attractive to swim sometimes.
If you can't pick up things, are easier to hit and can get blow about
then flying is a bit more balanced.  If you got some cover when swimming
it might make it even better.

       One could also see some switch like 'auto_move selection' or

      something.  But ideally, I want to keep it simple so that isn't

      needed.  And in the case of swimming, switching automatically could

      possibly unequip items, making it pretty unpopular (think about cases

      where there may be small amounts of water in dungeons near nasty

      monsters).

       Maybe explicitly requiring the player to use the method of movement

      is what needs to be done.  Thus may be needed just for sanity sake -

      player loaded down accidentally running into the lake and drowning

      would be pretty annoying.  And putting in a special case where if

      movement type is something beyond walk, we strip that out wouldn't be

      that hard to do, unless we want to make walking a basic skill.

Well this was my point for flying.  Mistakenly flying out to sea and
drowning would be pretty crappy.  So either you walk into water and
unequip items in hand automatically or you are blocked from entering
water until you unequip your items and switch to swimming skill...
Having players have to choose their movement type is certainly an
option.  It avoids a lot of problems and allows for some interesting map
puzzles where players could choose to swim in a sand lake or climb a
invisible wall.  It would also allow them to try (and fail) to swim in
grass or climb a lake.

       In cases of impassable terrain (high mountains or something?),

      perhaps take damage on landing, but once you have landed, should be OK.

       If you land in the water, you should perhaps drown - if you're flying

      over dangerous areas, in a sense, your doing it at your own risk.  If

      fatigue is added, that would be a similiar danger to swimming.

Yes in most cases (like mountains) you would simply be stuck until you
could fly again.  If over shallow water you might be able to swim.  If
flying over deep water you would be in trouble - this is a good thing
however I think - it means you better be careful flying over deep
water.  Flying over hostile terrain you would take the appropriate
damage each turn until you could get off the terrain.