[crossfire] mapguide/director question

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Sep 15 01:50:37 CDT 2005

Alex Schultz wrote:

      I don't see how it could be that bad either: I'm testing firing

      missile swarm (about the most projectile intensive spell there is),

      into a tight 3 director loop, and my server barely gets up to 2% cpu

      usage.  Large fireball fired as rapidly as can be by a signal player's

      natural casting can't push it over 1.3% cpu, and even with all this,

      the idle cpu usage is 1%. Really, unless lots of monsters are casting,

      or if it's meteor swarm with it's massive amount of fire, I don't see

      how this could be a problem.

      And one other curious statistic to add:

      I tested level 12 MS with that too, and no matter how much I tried I

      couldn't get cpu usage over 13%, However then I tried with level 112 and

      that brought it up to 100% cpu, due to the increase in number of meteors

      with level.

      Overall from what I can tell, directors have little effect on all this

      other than that they prevent if from hitting a exploding/disappearing

      for longer, which could be simulated anyways by casting out into the

      open in bigworld.

  This was changed in the spell redo - spells now have a range before they run
out.  So loops aren't quite as bad.

  However, have two directors pointing to each other will still be much worse
than a player firing those same missiles on the bigworld.

  That is because whenever one of these objects move onto a space, it has to
check all the other objects on the space to see if anything happens.

  So if you fire across the world maps, there will only be a few objects on each
space the meteor has to check against.

  In comparison, in the director loop, it has to check on all the objects on the
space, which is considerable (all the other meteors).  And you have a whoel
bunch, so this is happening a whole lot.

  So at some level, it isn't any worse if there is only one meteor going back
and forth . But if you have 100 going back and forth, that hundreds of times
worse than if those were being fired across an open map.