[crossfire] Unbalanced spell types

Joshua Wilson josh at woosworld.net
Mon Sep 26 09:08:26 CDT 2005

Mark Wedel wrote:

      Andreas Kirschbaum wrote:

      I think the damage should be scaled down by the monster size (measured

      in tiles it occupies). This would mean a spell deals full damage only if

      it hits the whole monster (i.e. the spell covers all monster tiles).

       Do note you need to cover rounding issues.  In the case of the greater

      demon (42 spaces), that could be a considerable amount of damage.

       And ideally, this should be handled after damage (or maybe as part of)

      damage reduction from protections is taken into account, since that also

      has rounding errors (but I think those might have been fixed by randomly

      determing if the remainder does damage).

      Note that bolt spells currently do have the same problem and deal

      different damage depending on how you hit the monster: hitting a hill

      giant vertically will do double damage compared to hitting it

      horizontally.

      For this spell type I cannot think of a simple solution that works

      correctly:

      just scaling down by either MIN(monster width, monster height) or

      MAX(monster width, monster height) either does not fix the problem, or

      weakens

      bolt spells for no apparent reason (to the player).

       Well, the direction of the bolt could be determined and adjusted

      accordingly.  The gotcha is that perhaps how much of the monster you hit

      should be of relevance.

       If we take the area spells above, it is certainly likely that any spell

      will only hit a portion of the monster.  So cone/explosion spells are

      generally going to be weaker from that change.

       Having the same logic for bolt spells doesn't seem unreasonable - if a

      bolt only hits 50% of the creature, it only does 50% of the damage.

This is awfully dangerous sounding - given a bolt spell can NOT hit 100%
of any monster other then a 1xX monster we will end up nuking bolt
spells if we are not careful here.

       That said, one thing I said long ago and hasn't been done is the idea

      that a monster (or other object) no longer needs an archetype to cover

      the extent of its image.  With the big image support, a hill giant can

      be changed so that it is only 1 square, but still appears 2 spaces tall.

       Likewise, demon lords could be greatly reduced in size - their full

      height doesn't have to be set.  So that can be done to also reduce the

      footprint of many monsters, also fixing the problem to some extent.

       That said, some monsters, like dragons, can't really be fixed in that way.

      crossfire at metalforge.org