[crossfire] Buildable Land Plots

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Wed Sep 28 00:33:59 CDT 2005

Mark Wedel wrote:

       Well, I'd be in the camp that I want to buy my house prebuilt - I

      don't want to have to fiddle with putting walls down, doors, etc.  But

      having a spot as a starting point could be nice.

       OTOH, I suppose the counter to that could why not just the scorn

      apartments or whatever.

Whereas I would personally want to build it completely from scratch.
IMHO it would be best to make both options available, with pros and cons
to each, and I think that the main difference is the prebuilt ones could
cost more to account for the materials cost.
Even the blueprints ones do have uses other than the apartments do
though, because one can invite others into it.
Really, my counter is that IMHO building from scratch more fun, but
really that's a rather personal thing. I have absolutely no problem with
blueprints, so long as building from scratch is still available, and the
pros and cons of each are properly balanced.

       At some level, also have to decide how far this goes.  IMO, at its

      heart, crossfire is an adventure type game, not a sim.  The issue

      being that we probably can't be as good as a sim as a game dedicated

      for that purpose.  I'd suggest getting the basics done first and worry

      about some of the likely less used things later (subcontracting

      buildings)

Indeed, which is why I'm personally starting step by step, starting with
just working on the 'template maps' I've outlined in this thread. In
terms of an adventure vs. sim, I feel that buildable plots in some form
would enhance crossfire as a MORPG, because:
1) It increases player interaction by giving customizable maps that one
can invite others into without having to bother with guilds and their
storage rooms and such. IMO increased player interaction is something
crossfire is in need of.
2) It plain gives players more to customize, which is a positive thing
when it neither unbalances the game nor changes the genre

In terms of things like contracting, I think that should be left to
evolve from the social dynamics of the game, and therefore, if the
players want it, they can get it, and if the players don't find it
important then it won't float around without necessity.

Really, a significant amount of the people who prefer MUDs to crossfire
prefer the MUDs because of customizability elements such as this.

Alex Schultz