[crossfire] Improved collect.pl script

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Sep 29 23:11:29 CDT 2005

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

     If I were to do it I would have implemented this behavior in

      the server

     instead of in the collecting of archetypes (that way it

      could be used in

     maps as well), but this is fine too.

      I voluntarily choose to do that at collect time, because doing

      it at item or map load time may be bad for loading performance.

      Also it's much easier to do it with Perl than C :)

  Doing it at the loader would also have the advantage that you could tweak maps
or player save files more easily.  And it should only effect load performance
when it has to deal with those.

  The other gotcha might be people looking at archetypes and seeing things like
'attacktype fire godpower' and thinking they can use that for their maps or
other non archetype things.  But that probably isn't a very big issue either.

  That said, this is certainly better than was there before, and I don't really
think the loader needs to be able to support this format - keeping that simpler
is probably better.

      The Java editor can use "raw" archetypes from the arch

      directory. Thus it needs too to support "attacktype fire".

      As I don't know Crossedit, I don't know whether it always uses

      collected archetypes or if it too can use uncollected ones.

  crossedit only supports the already collected archetypes, it can't read the
individual archetype files.