[crossfire] Re: [Crossfire-devel] Made a CVS upload error:

temitchell at sympatico.ca temitchell at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 30 16:12:32 CDT 2005

The reason there is so much focus on the directory structure and map guide is that that is what makes it possible to maintain maps properly.  If you can use the proper standards for your new maps - why can't you fix mlab to follow them as well.  It is a lot of work to do this because mlab is so big, but really it isn't hard or special to do this - just a lot of work which is why it isn't done yet.  In fact mlab is the best reason I have seen for maintaining the standards - it has been impossible to work with.  I spent too much time on it and made a start but I have no time to fix it, let alone work my own maps these days.  Mlab should be uploaded to the proper paths, it shouldn't be a tarball or in unlinked - both those will lead to forked and/or dead files, waste space and delay changes in the long run.
Every time this comes up you go on a big pout - now you have access why don't you quit complaining and just fix the damn maps.

      From: Mitch Obrian <

      mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com

      Date: 2005/09/30 Fri AM 02:06:13 EST

      crossfire at metalforge.org

      Subject: Re: [crossfire] Re: [Crossfire-devel] Made a CVS upload error:

      	/maps-bigworld/unlinked/mlab-devel/mlab-devel.tar.gz

      For all other maps sans mlab I follow the map guide.

      However mlab was started way before these, thus it

      uses the flatdirectory structure so it stays working.

      I've seen maps break many times before, including my

      tavern when it was uploaded to cvs originally.

      Why must there be contoversy just over a file system?