[crossfire] blasphemy, vulgarities etc.

Wim Villerius wim-cf at villerius.nl
Tue Aug 1 10:06:38 CDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 10:22 -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
<snip>
> What about a runtime flag which sets the "rating level" for the server.
> Depending on the level set, this could block access certain maps and even
> automatically set warnings.
>
> So if the rating level was set to "PG13" then any maps with a higher
> rating would be blocked.  If the rating level was set to "R" then all maps
> would be available but a warning would automatically be present in the
> issue (message before login).  Maps would need to contain information on
> their ratings level of course.

As long as there is no request for maps rated other than (at most) PG13,
I think this is not worth the efford. And I doubt this demand will ever
arise (unless CF becomes much more graphical)

My main concern was however the language use of NPC's. I don't remember
which NPC's this concerns, but some use expressions that are forbidden
on Metalforge.

Another issue is the naming of certain maps monsters. I guess angels -
and especially arch angels - might upset some people, not to mention the
appearance of 'holy ghosts' in Valriel's church.

Also fighting devils or demons could be too much for some, especially
when it comes to Demon Lords ;-)

And the entry to '/euthville/devil.church1' - a building filled with
devils - is for some reason not manifest to me called 'jesus weeping'
(see as well the name of /eutville/devil.church3). Does this game bring
the gospel? ;-)

Further, IMO things that are usually regarded as 'morally bad' (such as
slavery) could be no problem as long as this is not propagated. A
society with much less woman rights as is common to us might be proper
content as long as 1) it does make sense and 2) there is no attempt to
justify this.