[crossfire] blasphemy, vulgarities etc.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Aug 1 22:47:19 CDT 2006

Yann CHachkoff wrote:
>> My main concern was however the language use of NPC's. I don't remember
>> which NPC's this concerns, but some use expressions that are forbidden
>> on Metalforge.
>>
> I disagree. If the NPC represents somebody that uses rude language, so be
> it. As long as the usage doesn't become excessive, I see no reason to
> change that *if that fits the character depicted*. I'd easily understand
> that an "upset" NPC or a gruesome pirate to use rude words; OTOH, for most
> NPCs, that would be inappropriate.

  I think it depends specifically on the words in use.  For many people/parents,
certain words are off limits, and at some level, it isn't as much about the context.

  So having an NPC say 'you stupid bastard' would probably be fine.  Or we could
even go the 'don't use swear words, but use symbols instead', so it could be
'you !%$ bastard!'.  The context is there to know what the NPC thinks of you and
that it is rude language, but doesn't use actual swear words.

  Some of this I'm sure comes back from metalforge, and maybe others, prohibit
use of swear words in chatting and the like, so having NPC use these same
prohibited words is a bit odd.