[crossfire] Crossfire Release Cycles/Methodology

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Tue Aug 8 03:55:36 CDT 2006

Lalo Martins wrote:
> <snip svn criticisms>

Ahh yes, those are the sorts of SVN issues I've heard about, though I'm
not experienced with SVN myself.
> I believe the idea is to try some proper revision control system like bzr (there's
> free hosting at launchpad.net; you can host your own using only ssh and
> a webserver), git/cogito (used by the kernel and many freedesktop.org
> packages; I'm sure there must be free hosting somewhere) or darcs (again,
> needs only ssh and http to host).
One little note, bzr I find to be rather nice, however I find it's a bit
annoyingly memory and cpu intensive on source trees as large as cf.
git/cogito looks interesting, the tools seem pretty nice from what
little I've looked at, though it will be a bit of pain under windows
(and we do have a couple windows-using developers) as under windows it
requires cygwin. One other thought, darcs looks like an interesting one
too, however the fact that it's written in hacksel makes it a bit of a
pain to compile if one can't get binaries for one's system.

Personally I'm thinking just sticking with CVS is best though, largely
due to sticking with sf being easiest. I'm now thinking that SVN
wouldn't be too bad, but wouldn't be worth switching from CVS to use
unless one has some significant reason.

Alex Schultz