[crossfire] Crossfire Release Cycles/Methodology

Tchize tchize at myrealbox.com
Wed Aug 9 07:13:28 CDT 2006

svn does branching and tagging, and according to this faq
(http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#merge-using-tags) it does it
pretty well.

basically svn does this to handle branching and merging
copy trunk ->  myBranch
copy myBranch -> myBranchMerged
modify myBranch at will
copy the diff between myBranch and myBranchMerged to trunk

CVS on his side does this
tag the main branch
create a branch from given tag (don't forget to give that branch a name
that must be different than tag)
modify the branch
copy all changes made to branch to main

As a result, same number of operation, and svn is 'supposed' to be
faster than cvs at this because the operations do not depend on
repository size but on change size.

I think that because the branch name appear in url, it make it easier
for user to checkout a given branch or revision from anonymous svn and
the fact branches appear on http browsing (which  is not the case of
svn) is also a pro for svn.