[crossfire] TODO list items.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Aug 15 02:42:33 CDT 2006

  With crossfire release methodology slowly moving forward (I think one way or
another we'll have figured out what we're doing in terms of a SCCS system by
weeks end), I thought it was time to look at some of the TODO lists.  Most of
these are from the wiki or one in the server directory

I want to try to keep this somewhat shorter, so basically a list of things to do
and when to do them.

  The list below is just a quick first pass I did - almost certainly not
complete, and just basic gut feelings on target version and priority.  I'm
putting this out for the purpose of discussion.

change: briefly, what the change is.

target release: 1.x (minor release), 2.0 (next major release), 3.0 (major
release after next). Anything with 1.x is presumed it will be completed before
2.0 and thus 2.0 will include it, if it is a high priority feature.  Some
determination on target release is how big a change I think it is - if I think
the change may be small enough to go in a minor release, I have a 1.x target.

priority: How important a change is.  If another change depends on the first
one, that will also result in the first one having a higher priority.  Priority
is from 1 to 3, one being the highest. Basically:
1 - Something that must be done, or prerequisite for something else
2 - Should really be done, but not critical to game play.
3 - nice to have feature, but if not done, not critical.  Many of these may
really be a 3.0 targets.  Enhancements vs fixing known problems are most likely
to be in this category.

  The different items should in general also be done in the priorities listed -
P1 before P2, P2 before P3.

Change					Target Release	   Priority
Fix/Revamp sound				2.0		2
Ambient music					2.0		3
Fix Weather					1.x?		2
Improve lighting				2.0		2
Changes to the clients (better ui)		?		1
    (more details on what is meant by this is needed)
New character creation method			2.0		1
Game Balance					2.0		1
Land Plots					1.x		3
Code Cleanup					2.0		1
Better NPC logic				1.x?		1
Add Kandora maps				1.x		3
Map Cleanup (more details?)			1.x?		3?
Big worldify pupland				1.x?		2
Auction house map?				1.x?		3?
archetype cleanup (remove old params so no	1.x?		1
     legacy loader code needed)
Buildable shops					2.0		3?
Newspaper (script based)			1.x?		3?
Player clothing (image change based on clothing) 3.0		3?
Time of day based events			2.0		2
Player economy					3.0?		2
Quest management system				2.0		1
Improved player communications			3.0		2
Performance improvements (lots of spells on	1.x		1
    map causes performance hit)
Thread the server				3.0		2
Make slaying more consistent			2.0		2
Change speed of players (high levels players	2.0		2
     move way too fast)
Improve NPC communication (tag keywords so 	2.0		3
    are more obvious to players)
discrete attack damage (dam_fire, dam_cold.)	2.0		3