[crossfire] crossfire source code control systems

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Tue Aug 15 10:12:28 CDT 2006

Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> One thing that could be added in the "nice to have" list is the
> support for migrating local branches to another repository.  This
> would only apply to the systems that support local branches.  So the
> choices could be "Easy", "Hard" or "Not applicable".  Or maybe just
> "Yes", "No", "N/A".  As I mentioned in my previous message, local
> branches could cause some availability problems.  So if a system
> supports local branches, it would be interesting to know whether it is
> easy or hard to move these branches to a different place (which could
> be the central server or some other server used as failover).  I would
> consider that a system does not support relocating local branches if
> it is necessary to do a full archive of the repository and then
> extract it in the new location.  I would also consider it insufficient
> if the main way to move a local branch requires a merge with the main
> branch and/or only preserves the last entry in the revision history.
> Good support for relocating local branches would be offered if the
> system allows anybody (not just the owner of that branch) to extract
> all information about that branch (including the history of all
> changes) and create an exact copy of that branch on another server.
Yes, I would agree that it would be a "nice to have" feature, though I'm
not sure this is useful to add to the table because really, I don't know
of any distributed SCM that doesn't allow easily migrating local (or
any) branches. Usually one would do it by initializing a new
repository/branch (most consider each branch a separate repository,
however allow proper merging etc. as to not require branches to be
hosted in the same place) at the remote location and then typically
using the "push" command to push all of the data including history to
the remote repository.

Alex Schultz